In retail history

Rich's_Downtown_Department_Store

On May 28th, 1867, Mauritius Reich, a Hungarian immigrant, opened a dry goods store at 36 Whitehall St in Atlanta, Georgia.  The store named M. Rich Dry Goods with the name being derived from Mauritius Reich’s name being anglicized to Morris Rich.

Due to their rapid success, Rich’s moved four times by 1882 and was considered one of the big five retailers in Atlanta.  The Rich family operated the company until 1976 and the name plate was retired by the current owners on March 6th, 2005.

Rich’s enjoyed a loyal following over it 100+ years in operation.  Two fondly remembered traditions are the Great Tree for Christmas and the Pink Pig monorail in the toy department for the Holidays.