In retail history

from the Department Store Museum website

from the Department Store Museum website

On February 14th, 1865, Abraham Abraham and Joseph Wechler partnered to open Wechler & Abraham at 297 Fulton Street in Brooklyn, New York.  The store became Abraham & Strauss in 1893 and at its height, provided the utmost in white glove treatment. Uniformed elevator operators whisked patrons between floors and patrons parked their horse-drawn carriages in an underground parking garage.  Departments include fine furs, gourmet food center, stamp & coin shop, wig bar, beauty salon, art gallery and restaurant. In 1929, A&S, Bloomingdales, Filene’s of Boston, Shilito’s and F&R Lazarus & Co combine forming the Federated Department Stores.  In 1995, the Abraham & Strauss rebrand themselves as the more popular Macy’s.