On October 28th, 1858, Capt. Rowland Hussey Macy opened his fifth dry goods store after his first four failed.
After his four failed attempts in Massachusetts between 1843 and 1855, Macy moved to New York City and opened his latest store, the R.H.Macy’s & Co. on 6th Street that was considerably north of the dry goods retail stores of the time. In spite of the risky location, Macy brought in $11.08, equivalent of $303. Macy’s logo has always been the red star which was a tattoo that R.H. had gotten when he was a whaler.
Macy’s opened their flagship Herald Square location in 1902 that has since grown to become the world’s largest department store in 1924. It is now 2.2 million square feet.