Shortly, the Macy’s store located in downtown Portland will be closing their doors for good putting an end to over 100 years of retailing. Meier & Frank got its start in 1857 when Aaron Meier started a mercantile to serve the latest arrivals to Oregon. This building opened in 1909 serving as the flagship store for the Portland based department.
Between its Holiday windows, Georgian Restaurant, historic clock and elevator, many Portlanders have fond memories of visits to Meier & Frank. The store became part of May Department stores in 1966, later being acquired by Federated in 2005. At which point, it will live on only in those fond memories.